This resource includes 50 Reading Intervention Mats with a short vowel CVC focus. The reading intervention mats cover short vowels in CVC words with a focus on phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension. You get ALL the essential components of literacy on one page! Working on building readers' confidence and to help students practice decoding, these no-prep intervention mats can be used daily. Kindergartners and 1st graders will thrive as they work on each reading mat. Aligned to the Science of Reading, early and emergent readers will focus on developing their early literacy skills, while decoding words for the short vowel phonics patterns.
Why do you need this resource?
- To review short vowel and CVC phonics pattens.
- To work on phonemic awareness skills in short vowel CVC words.
- To work on phonics skills while decoding words, in isolation and in context.
- To work on fluency in isolation and in context.
- To develop vocabulary.
- To develop comprehension skills.
- To build readers' confidence.
There are 50 reading intervention mats, with a focus on short vowel CVC words:
- 10 mats for each short vowel (a, i, o, u, e)
- Each mat includes a focus on: phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension
- Cover page for reading intervention mats
Phonics concepts included:
- short vowels (CVC)- short a, short i, short o, short u, short e
High frequency words included on the mats:
- the a I to and was for you is of
- Words from the Dolch Pre-Primer list
How to use this resource:
- Phonemic Awareness: Students will verbally state the sounds in the focus word.
- Phonics: Students will decode the focus word by saying each sound and then blending it together.
- Fluency: Students will read words in isolation.
- Fluency: Students will read words in a sentence.
- Vocabulary: Students will write the focus word.
- Comprehension: Students will write the answer to the question.
Who are these passages written for?
- These passages are intended for early and emergent readers working on their essential literacy skills.
- Students should have been exposed to all consonant sounds, and short vowel sounds in order to successfully complete these mats. These mats are a great way to review and perfect decoding of CVC words.
- These work well for: Kindergartners, 1st Graders, and struggling readers.
- These can be used at any time of the school year.
- These can also be used in summer school, for review.
Who is this set of reading passages for?
- Classroom teachers
- Special education teachers with student literacy goals
- Reading specialists/interventionists/reading teachers
- Classroom aides/assistants
- Parent helpers
- ESL teachers
- For independent extra practice
These reading intervention mats work great in small groups as a warm up activity, in intervention groups, during whole group morning meetings, or one-on-one for more intensive intervention.
The goal of this resource is to assist readers in developing their early literacy skills, while improving decoding abilities, building their confidence in reading words with specific phonics concepts.
I hope you and your students love these reading intervention mats!