This resource includes 15 phonics focused decodable REVIEW reading passages covering a variety of phonics patterns, most appropriate for end of 1st grade and beginning of second grade. These phonics based reading passages are great to use as a review of phonics concepts, while readers practice decoding words. Each phonics based reading passage includes specific focus words with different phonics patterns, as well as a follow up page with word work and comprehension questions. Aligned to the Science of Reading, students will focus on decoding words for the various phonics patterns.
Why do you need this resource?
- To review phonics pattens.
- To help students practice decoding words, in context.
- To help students identify words with specific phonics patterns.
- To help students read passages with specific phonics patterns.
- To help students respond to comprehension questions.
- To build readers' confidence.
There are 15 decodable phonics based reading passages, which include a random combination of phonics concepts.
- One full page of each passage.
- One full follow up page, for each passage, with phonics focused word work and 3 comprehension questions.
- Lists of specific phonics focused words for the word work portion of each passage.
Phonics concepts included:
- short vowels (CVC)
- blends (beginning and ending blends)
- long vowels with silent e (CVCe)
- added or inflectional endings
- r controlled vowels
- double consonants
- long vowel combinations
- vowel teams
- soft c/g
- silent letters (kn, wr, gn)